11 December 2007

new york avec lindsay

i've always heard that new york is wonderful around christmastime and thus the motivation for last weekend's trip up. that and i have a slight obsession with the city that keeps me coming back on a semi-regular basis (thoughts of moving there are increasingly stronger, but alas, that's for another post).

lindsay and i went up friday and came back sunday night. i got spoiled this summer not taking the bus up often, but was reminded on this trip why, in fact, the bus only costs $20. but it's all part of the experience that is the chinatown bus. crazy people, lots of traffic, weird movies, you really can't ask for more. the good thing on this ride up was that i FINALLY got past page 5 in my new book.

our host for the weekend was one of lindsay's mission companions and her husband. nothing like staying with a darling newlywed couple to make you want to give up your single life in a heartbeat. wow, that was one cute couple. luckily, the result of my conversations with them was an increased amount of hope in the fact that people actually do work out and actually do find each other, something that still amazes me everytime i see it.

the weekend highlights include:
*seeing the rockettes. we saw them at 9 a.m. and i loved going early. it was amazing. even from the third mezzanine, on the third row from the back, with lots of kids around me. those girls are fantastic.
*shopping at j.crew at rockefeller center. it's not the actual shopping i liked, but watching the hoards of people that were coming in and out of that store.
*meeting up with dear, dear mary stewart. i haven't seen her since byu days and really have missed her. that and i met her new little abby. she also told me the two secrets to being a mom that i will try to not forget.
*chinatown with kimber. that will never get old for us. and that girl knows chinatown in and out so it's nice to have a guide show you all the good spots (and i have to mention that i finally bought a custard purse. i've been wanting one forever...)
*getting stuck with my luggage trying to go through the roundabout in the subway. i have to admit, that was pretty funny.
*trying to find a bathroom with lindsay = impossible. new york does not like bathrooms i've decided.
*dinner with trevor, seth, adam, jamar, steph, lindsay and two of steph's roommates at city grille.
* a funny awkward scene that ensued after dinner (potentially too awkward to write on a blog, but can be discussed one on one)


contrary to what it looks like, which would be me taking out trash, this is my loot from shopping in chinatown.


yes, we stayed in brooklyn. and yes, it was far.


i LOVED this christmas tree chandelier at radio city. it was H-U-G-E.


mary and cute abby. look how warm abby looks...


my new, dear friend sheryl. she's one of those darling people you always saw at school but somehow never met.

3 comments:

Chelsy said...

Tracy, Tracy, Tracy...how do you know Lindsay Lansing? She's been out your way all this semester, right? I was in her ward this spring, and she used to be a team teacher with Rand, and Rand proposed to me at her families cabin (aka: beautiful home) in Deer Valley (oh great, I can't remember, I think it was Deer Valley). Oh the connections! I'm glad you had fun! She's adorable and the nicest girl ever (kind of like you), totally not surprised you two have become friends! :o)

Tell her Rand and I say 'hi'!

Melissa Fullmer said...

tracy, you're life is so glamorous!! email me your address!! hello_mcfly@hotmail.com

Katrina said...

Alas, I am jealous of your NYC trips. My goal is to make it there this spring before the summer heat and 3rd trimester sets in. Perhaps we should meet there and hang out! And you can totally come visit me here in the NC too! Miss you!